This is 'Iolani School

This is 'Iolani School

Monday, February 23, 2015

Filament Test...Glow-in-the-dark PLA vs Regular PLA vs NinjaFlex

I got the settings for these 3 filaments (Glow-in-the-dark PLA, Regular PLA & NinjaFlex) pretty much figured out, so I wanted to do a side by side by side test. Here's what I did: I used the Printrbot Simple Metal 3D printer along side a Apple MacBook Air running the latest Slic3r software. Room temperature was about about 80 degrees (no AC, just ceiling fans, a few windows open and the roof ventilation fan running).

I printed a paper clip that I downloaded from Thingiverse. It has a hole on the top to put a stick pin through and attach it to a cork board. There is also a small "nub" inside the "clip" part that holds your papers when they are slid in.


Glow-in-the-dark PLA

Regular PLA


NinjaFlex

The GITD PLA did not print a hole...you can see where it's suppose to be but I think the filament didn't set up quickly enough to form the hole. The regular PLA has a clear hole that can be seen in all the pictures. The NinjaFlex was a little better then the GITD. The whole is clearly visible from the backside, but the front side is almost covered.  


When you looked at the sideview, you can see that the GITD left a lot of random lines of filament. In order for it to be useable, you would have to clean it up with an x-acto knife. Also, when I tried to put the pin through the "hole", the clip split almost totally in half. The other two clips are usable as is.

I will continue to play around with these filaments and try some different settings. The settings for the NinjaFlex and the Glow-in-the-dark filament are also on this blog. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to drop me a note. 


No comments:

Post a Comment