This is 'Iolani School

This is 'Iolani School

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Not Just Kids Can Create In The Lab

I've never done anything with Arduino so I figured since we have 8 SparkFun RedBoard Starter Sets, I better start to figure out how it works. Now I have programmed before...anyone remember "Basic", "Pascal", "Cobol", or "Fortran"? I also play with "Scratch" but I wouldn't consider myself a "coder".

Anyway, as I am reading the manual I see that there is a board that holds the RedBoard and the Breadboard, keeping the two together. My mind gets sidetracked from "how to use this stuff" to "how can I make one" mode. I decided to follow my own advise and use the engineering design process to  create my own.

So during some free time in the Lab this past Saturday (our school was giving tours to prospective 6th graders & their parents, and I was manning the Lab) I made this board. I did some drawings and took some measurements, and then I went to technology.  Using Inkscape and our laser cutter I went through a couple of prototypes but finally came up with this:


Not bad for a teacher. Now I have to start playing around with Arduino and figure out how it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment