In their homeroom, groups of 2 students drew pictures of the garden and their stake. Next, they planned out what their stake design would look like. Finally, they took that stake design and drew it on a 3x5 card.
Then things went to the Lab. I scanned the cards as a jpeg file, cropped them to size and exported them as a pdf. I took the pdfs and placed them on a templates of the stake, which I made in Inkscape. After a couple of prototypes, I got the laser cut going and in no time the kindergarteners stakes were done.
We brought the kindergarteners into the lab to take them through the whole process, from drawing to wooden stake. Below are pictures of the process. Thanks to the K-Makai class and their wonderful teachers Lauree Sakaida and Kristi Kai.