This is 'Iolani School

This is 'Iolani School

Monday, February 23, 2015

3D Printing with Printrbot's Glow-in-the-dark PLA Filament

Our 3rd graders have a "Space Night" each spring and so I thought we might be able to use Printrbot's Glow-in-the-dark PLA filament. I got a spool and got to printing. The first thing I noticed is that this filament is very brittle...both on the spool and after you print. Finding the right settings has been process. I have gotten OK results but I want to try to make it more consistent.

If you take a look at my post of a filament test between GITD PLA, Regular PLA and NinjaFlex, you can see how they compare. Also, if you check out the post "3rd Grade Space Night and Glow-in-the-dark Filament"...this is a nose cone that we printed for one of the students water rockets.


What I want to do here is show you some of the other things I have tried to print and give you my settings.

The first thing I noticed is that until the filament starts to flow consistently, it leave "hairs" as it goes. I clean them off the printer bed as quickly as I can. Once a solid bead of filament is extruded, I let it go. The second thing was that I needed to support the filament from the spool to the extruder because it is brittle...so I got a long straw and slide the filament through it.




Next I printed a snowflake. First with a large brim then with no brim. The one with out the brim was much more fragile and one of the sections of the snowflake cracked when I took it off the bed. Both had lots of "hair" but I kind of like it for the snowflake.


That's it so far. Like I said, decent results but I am sure I can clean it up a bit. Maybe change the travel time or play with the temperature.

Below are my settings. If you try something different that gets better results, please let me know.












No comments:

Post a Comment